Microsoft and Sony have brought back one of the coolest features of the last generation of consoles. Remember when you could customize the wallpaper and themes you saw on your system home screens, and make it your own? Well, in the next update roll-out in November, that feature will make it’s debut on the Xbox One and PS4.
The Xbox One feature comes coupled with a bunch of other customization updates that were also part of the 360 system, but missing at launch on the Xbox One. These features were the #1 fan requested feature that should be added, and it is a welcome addition. More details about the update here:
- Custom Backgrounds – The #1 fan-requested feature is making its initial debut for preview members. For the first time, each account on your Xbox One can have a customized background. You can choose a custom color or achievement art as your background on Xbox One, with more customization options coming down the road.
- Gamer Profile – You can now share your location and bio as part of your profile. You can set these options on your Xbox One console and use Xbox One SmartGlass to browse to other people’s profiles and check out their showcase items. Additionally, you can now select a set of showcase items that are displayed when other gamers look at your profile on an Xbox One console. You can use Xbox One SmartGlass or Xbox One console to add or remove up to six game clips or achievements that will be displayed in a carousel format.
- Tweet about your Favorite Game Clips – You can now share your favorite Xbox One game clips with your followers on Twitter. Use the Share button on any game clip you have created and select Twitter to compose the Tweet.
The Playstation update is also part of a large, much needed feature-laden update. Sony is adding USB music playback on the system, as well as enhancements to the store and finally some YouTube support and a dedicated YouTube app. Players will finally be able to add their captured game footage straight to YouTube as well as social networks. More details on the Playstation update can be found here:
- USB Music Player – PS4 owners can play their own music in the background while playing a game using USB Music Player*. After inserting a USB stick loaded with music into the PS4, a new option for USB Music Player will appear. Supported filename extensions include MP3, MP4, M4A, and 3GP.
- Change colors – In addition to the ability to add a theme, PS4 owners can also change the background of the home screen from light blue to one of seven new colors: gold, blue, red, green, purple, pink, and gray.
- Players You May Know – PS4 will now suggest players you may know as potential friends in the ‘What’s New’ section.
This is a great month to own a next-gen console, as they are finally coming into their own with customization, as well as stronger libraries and features. Here’s hoping December brings even more improvements.